I want to talk about the need to be alone, the positive side of it, to be silent, spending time with yourself, with God, with music, projects--anything. Introverts have this need more powerfully than extroverts and even within those categories there are different needs and levels of being alone.
I have a need to be alone sometimes. Even if it's just five minutes. Right now as I write this I'm sitting on the floor in front of the dryer typing instead of folding. Why? I'm trying to figure myself out. Why have I not been productive today? Why am I so moody? Perhaps because my sleep is off, I've had a huge weekend, I didn't do Bible study today, and many life changes are around the bend. All of that is beside the point.
We all need a time to sort out our thoughts and hearts, a time to examine life in a space
semi-detached from most of the daily motions. The silence around you gives your heart a chance to be heard. It gives God a chance to whisper to your soul. It gives a moment of escape from the chores, "that person", work, all of the to-do's, and societal pressures. If being alone is so important, why don't we do it more, why is it sometimes socially unacceptable to detach if that's what you need to do?
My sister requires more time alone than I do, and admittedly, I give her a hard time occasionally because she isn't with the rest of the family as much. And yet, I feel a pressure, a need to remain among people, and sometimes I can feel myself longing for alone time. It's not something to feel guilty over though! I need alone time, but rather than putting myself behind a door, I get away under the pretense of needing to accomplish something. (The clothes still aren't all folded). Why do I create excuses? There is nothing wrong with needing to be alone for a little while. Perhaps, am I afraid of being alone without a task? Maybe. I am inactively concerned that left to own thoughts and feelings they will battle. Reason and feeling often do not match, and I am afraid of walking away feeling unproductive, behind, and tearing myself down for not wisely using time.
That doesn't have to be the case! Sometimes spending time alone can be the most productive thing your day holds because it gives you a chance to regroup yourself, to get away and be with God. So don't feel guilty when you need a few moments. Every minute is precious and a gift just to you. Use your moments and answer the call when God uses them to call you to Himself. You'll walk away feeling much better.
Matthew 11:28-29
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
Mark 6:31
Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.
Also, I will say that it has been a couple days since this was written, and my soul has quieted some. Much of its settling I believe is due to speaking things out with others and gaining guidance, along with prayer in my own heart. So even though alone time is very important, and falls in line with the Sabbath law of rest, sharing your heart with others can also be a game changer to your day.
No comments:
Post a Comment